Saturday, July 16, 2011

Life is Learning

Steve and I had a brief conversation yesterday about college degrees, and which one I should earn.  He was joking that I should not get a degree in Economics, because he already has one and we need to balance each other out.  I asked him what degree he thought I should earn, and he said nursing or something.  The reason this came up is because I am taking the Maricopa County Master Gardening classes, to earn my certificate.  We had the first class last night, and had to read the first two chapters before the class.  I was not prepared for the reading.  I didn't expect college level (community college?), botany and horticulture.  I don't know what I thought the class would be like.  Maybe a lot of hands on classes of digging and planting and watering.  I am really excited that the classes are more in depth than that.

I have been thinking about this class and other classes and hobbies I've had.  I am learning, and I'm not earning a degree.  If I have an interest, I read and research.  I work and do.  I make and create.  I am giving myself my perfect education.  This is not to say that I wouldn't do more formal education.  I am not going to tell my kids that they shouldn't go to college.  I think it is extremely important for them to go.  My future aspirations will require me to take some accounting and other classes.  As for now, my main areas of interest are contributions to my family, and learn skills to make us self sufficient.  Canning, quilting, sewing, gardening, budgeting, cooking, teaching.  All of these skills help me to grow.  All of these skills help my family.

Life is learning.  I love my life.

1 comment:

Lani said...

Love this. I have learned more since I graduated from BYU than I ever learned while there! Life is learning if you seek it! And I love it too!