Our summer was so busy. It makes me sad to think of how quickly it passed. We arrived home from California on Saturday the 27th, and school started on Thursday the 1st. I did all of our back-to-school shopping the week before we went to CA, so I didn't have to deal with that. I did go through uniforms and find out what fit who, and what we needed to buy. Monday through Wednesday flew by. I wanted Wednesday to be a family day with the probability of a Harry Potter marathon. Alexis ended up babysitting all day, and the boys were invited to play with friends. I cried. I am never ready for the first day of school, but feeling like I didn't really have my kids for the summer made me even more sad. Can we say "I wish we were still homeschooling"? I came to a realization, one that was already in the back of my mind from Julie B. Beck's talk
"Mothers Who Know" . Mothers who know do less...and this past summer I was doing more. My realization is that my kids are only as busy as I let them be. Alexis and Tommy have the opportunity to play sports after school. Alexis wanted to play volleyball, and Tommy wanted to play flag-football. The school does not provide sports transportation which would mean that I would be toting little kids around after school dragging them to games and practices. The other option the kids have is running cross-country. The meets are only on Saturdays, and all age groups would be going to the same meet. The other sports were not guaranteed to have games at the same location, but would be at the same times. I want to be able to support my kids and cheer them on, not have them carpool with friends and tell me about it later. So my decision is they must both play the same sport. Cross-country it is. My evenings will not be filled with driving around the city with hungry babies, and cranky tired kids. Saturday mornings with an hour of running sounds good to me. I can let them play a sport, and keep my sanity, and not feel overwhelmed with the fact that time is flying by.
The kids are doing great in school. None of them have cried at drop off. That makes it easier on me. I remember one day at our old school when I dropped Michael off, and he had to be dragged into the school. The principal had to tear him off of me and hold him as I ran out of the school. Michael has had a smile on his face everyday since school started this year. Alexis loves being in junior high. Tommy still wishes he went to his old school, but hasn't complained nearly as much as he did last year. Amy loves being anywhere. She is just a happy girl. Burke, Amelia and I are in a good daily routine. Now I need to remember how I used to organize my days before they were born. My house used to be clean with only four kids, I know it can be with six.
While we were in CA, I finished my second trimester of the
BYU-I Pathway Program. One more to go and then I become an official BYU-I student. Class starts on September 13. I am grateful for the break I've had, but am anxious to finish this next trimester. I have already planned out my first year and a half of classes for after the Pathway Program is done. Steve has been so supportive of me. I am so happy to say that so far I have a 4.0 GPA. That is something I have never been able to boast before. I am happy to be going school at the age I am. I am paying for it myself, and I am motivated to do well. I am trying to be a good example to my kiddos. I hope they see (or will someday) that my education is important to me, it just wasn't a priority until I had them. I can be mom and student, and I don't have to give anything up. I couldn't do any of it without depending on the Lord for help. I need His help. He has made my days long enough to do all that I need to. I thank him everyday for giving me patience, strength and guidance.
I am going to be better about posting. It is a priority of mine to remember the events of our lives...
No comments:
Post a Comment