Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fall Break

Steve was out of town from last Friday early morning, until Tuesday around 8:30pm.  He  and the other seminary teacher took 9 of his seminary kids to Utah for conference and to tour BYU and see some fun things to do around there.  It was a great experience for the kids, and for Steve too.  They were able to get 10 tickets to the Saturday afternoon session.  What a great memory for them. 

I was home for five days without my main mode of transportation, as Steve needed the van for his trip.  I was planning on watching all of the sessions of conference on the Internet on our TV, but the Saturday morning session didn't work. I was a little bummed because I really didn't want to miss any of it.  I decided to listen to church music instead so I programmed a Mormon Tabernacle Choir station on our Pandora radio.  Then I set the timer for 1 hour and the kids and I went to work cleaning the house and listening to music.  I am sure that I was not meant to watch conference that morning.  I can watch it anytime.  The feeling of peace and harmony in our home that morning was amazing.  I felt the Spirit so strongly and had to hold back tears more than once.  Do you ever have to kind of catch your breath when you think of your kids, like they really took your breath away?  I have.  More than once.  On Saturday, a lot.  I don't know how to describe the love and joy I feel for my kids.  They were so sweet to each other.  They did not argue.  They helped and did not bicker.  They were amazing.  It was a perfect morning.  The Lord knew I needed that, and that if I were watching conference instead, I would have been shushing and ignoring, and putting kids in time out.  They would have been restless and loud.  I needed to feel the Spirit, especially because Steve was gone.  I was able to reflect on that morning for the rest of the time Steve was away, and it helped me a lot.  I did get to watch a little of conference in the afternoon, and the next day, but I wasn't able to really focus because the kids had a bit of cabin fever.  I think I played Chess with Tommy about 50 times, and we all played UNO together a few times.  We kinda watched Fiddler on the Roof.  We watched the rain and hail.  That was fun.  You would have thought it was snowing the kids were so excited.  Burke was a really good boy the whole time.  Amy came into my bed a lot.  Michael wrote and  read a lot.  Alexis set up a school room and taught the little kids.  I think they played school for about 40 hours.  No kidding.  She is a great teacher.  The temperature has been amazing.  Not too hot.  I'm so happy to have Steve home.  I do not want to be a lone parent.  I need his support.  I wouldn't be able to do this on my own.  He is an inspired man, and he guides and leads this family well.

I love Alexis' teaching skills.  I love Tommy's new found chess skills.  I love Michael's map drawing ability.  I love Amy's singing in the rain.  I love Burke's upper body strength.

No comments: