I want the best for my family. I know I have a huge job and responsibility raising five children. I have said it before, but I need to say it again for myself. I want them to have a great childhood with happy memories. I want them to look back and see that I do the things I do because I love them, not the opposite. I'm grateful that I have chosen this life. I love being a mom. I love being a wife. I love being a homemaker. I love my life. I love my friends. I love learning. I love teaching. This is what I was meant to do and who I was meant to be.
Epiphany- Directed at no one in-particular, I'm just sayin'!
It has been said that you should never talk about politics or religion. I can see why. They are both topics that people are passionate about, and won't easily be swayed from. I'm learning that choosing a school for you kids is the same. I was talking to Steve about it earlier, and compared schools to the gospel. When someone finds the gospel, they are on fire and want to share it with everyone. You want to share it because it is so amazing and special and it changed your life, and you can't imagine how anyone can live without it. So you share the gospel, and maybe the response you receive isn't quite what you expected. The person is happy with the church they attend, and it's working for them and their family. But you have the gospel, and it's so great, everyone needs it! Well, no thanks. We're happy with what we have, but thanks anyway. So, feelings of rejection enter the situation. Maybe awkward moments the next few times you talk. Things smooth over and eventually everything is fine again. Substitute gospel with school, and the only difference is that one school is not for everyone, but the gospel is for everyone. The bottom line is that everyone does what is best for their families. People have to look at what is working for them, and make the choice that works for them. I think prayer should be involved, and maybe some fasting. Regardless of the end decision it is the right choice. I'm still trying to make that choice!
Random addition:
The strangest thing I've had happen on my birthday is being surrounded by cub scouts in Home Depot as the store manager directed them in singing Happy Birthday to me. Thanks, Kim!
5 comments:
I wouldn't worry too much about the school thing Katie. Your kids are at a good institution, period.
By the way, I think you're using the correct terminology here -- this is a choice, not a decision.
The word decide contains the Latin suffix -cide, which means to kill. Think homicide or pesticide. When we decide something, we are essentially killing off all the other options until we are left with one. It implies that, in the end, there is only one good option.
A choice is different. In choosing, we consider all our options--many of which may be "good"--and simply choose one of them. In the end we make a choice out of our own free will.
Think about going out for ice cream. Do you decide on a flavor, or do you choose it? Or before you got married, did you decide on a spouse (i.e. was there a "one and only") or do you choose him?
I'm sure whatever you guys choose for your kids will be fine!
We're considering a change for school next year... so I've this subject on my brain also! Lots of prayer and pondering going on!
What was most priceless about your lovely 'surprise' on your birthday is how red your face got! :-)
I agree that this a very personal choice that you make as a family and after a lot of consideration and prayer. I think that after you make your choice it is important to be confident in it. Each family has different needs as does each kid, what may be best for one of your children may not be what is best for the other. If you are prayerful you will not be led astray. You will know what is best for your family even if it's not what others think is best for thiers. Good luck!
Great job on the ragnar! I have mixed feelings on ragnars but think my friends are convincing me to do one in Vegas in October. Glad you had a good time!
Post a Comment