Friday, August 17, 2012

Our Intro to Home School

Day1- We learned the importance of setting goals and why they are good for us.  We each wrote a list of 50 goals.  Some of them may be realized in the near future and some of them may not be realized for many years.  We are having journal writing each day and this day's prompt was "write a story about a bat that couldn't fly".  All of the kids except for Alexis wrote about an animal.  Alexis wrote about a baseball bat.I was impressed with the way she thought outside the box.  Of course it could be a baseball bat!

Day 2-  We finished our goal lists and started our dream boards.  I have a lot of magazines that I let the kids tear up to find pictures of things that they wanted to do or have or become.  Our journal prompt for this day was ''write about something you are good at doing".  I liked the responses.

Day 3- Today we finished our dream boards and I went through all of the school books with the kids and explained my expectations to them.  Tommy wanted to start history today.  We read a bit about nomads.  The really fun part about today was that we had our first field trip.  Sea Life Aquarium had home school week this week.  The kids had a short class where they learned about the anatomy of a squid and them were able to dissect one.  They learned how to tell the gender of the squid, and were able to remove the ink sac and the squid pen.  It was amazing to me that a squid has a part that can really be used as a quill. The kids were allowed to use the pen and ink to write their names on paper.  Then we went through the aquarium and saw all of the fish.  It was a really fun field trip.

Monday we will have our first full curriculum day.  I am really looking forward to this year.









The black thing is the ink sac.





If you look closely you can see the clear pen that came from the squid.  Tommy is using it to write his name.


2 comments:

Lani said...

You make homeschooling sound so fun. Maybe someday I'll be stable enough to think about doing it again. The girls told me they wished we could do homeschool the other day.

Shelly and Ben said...

Welcome to the homeschooling world!!! It is awesome and we love it! What are you using for History? I need to find a good curriculum for next year. Preferrably one that has more than one years worth of curriculum.