Saturday, January 18, 2014

2014 New Goals and an Accounting of Last Years

In 2013 I set some pretty lofty goals.  Some I wasn't sure I would be able to accomplish.  After studying goal setting this year I realized that part of the reason I didn't accomplish some of those goals was because they weren't S.M.A.R.T. goals.  I learned about these types of goals in my Life Skills Pathway class.  Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound.  Now as I look forward to my goals in 2014 I will make more specific goals.

The goals I did accomplish this year were not easy for me.  In fact I struggled and pushed myself farther than I thought I could go.  In January I started school.  For many years I have felt the need to finish my formal education.  I have started the enrollment process at different community colleges more than once, never enrolling in classes.  The programs offered at those schools didn't fit my need to stay home with my kids and not put them in day care.  I felt that it was more important to care for them full time, and prayed that someday I would find the "perfect" school for my situation.  I knew that the BYU-I Pathway program was the right way for me to achieve my desire to go to school.  It has been such a great year.  I now have six classes under my belt and can say that I have a 4.0 GPA.  I never thought that I could do that!  There were a few times this past semester alone that I wanted to quit.  I was taking an Into to Algebra/ Personal Finance class.  Math is something that has been a challenge for me my whole life.  I am pretty sure I cried out of frustration every week of the semester.  I worked through it and ultimately earned a B on my final exam and an A overall in the class.  I felt my confidence rise and feel like I really accomplished something.  I know that it may not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but I really worked hard and am happy with what I was able to do.  So my unspecific goal of doing well in school can be checked off and have a gold star sticker placed next to it.

The other major goal I accomplished this year was my running goal.  I had a goal to run the Ragnar Relay in February, the Whiskey Row Half-Marathon in May, and the St. George Marathon in October.  I was able to do all three.  The training was time intensive, and there were days I thought my legs were going to fall off.  I had weeks when I ran more than Steve would run in a month.  All through the training I was going to school, and taking care of the family and all of the responsibilities that go with being a mom.  I could not have done any of it without Steve's support, help, and love.  He is truly the best.  There were many Saturday mornings when I would come home sore and tired.  I would shower and take a nap.  He took on the care of the kids and other things that we had to do those days.

_________________________________________________________________________________

When I wrote the above, I didn't really understand the feat I accomplished last year.  It took a gift from Alexis to help me realize how much I did.  For Christmas, Alexis made a rack for me to hang my medals and race bibs.  Once Steve hung it, and I saw my medals lined up neatly in a row I became overwhelmed at the thought of all of those miles run.  According to my Run Keeper, I ran nearly 1,000 miles in training and racing. When you combine the time I spent training and the time I spent on school, family, church callings, housework etc. I know that the only way I could have accomplished any of it was with the help of the Lord. He does care about our daily lives, and righteous desires.  He wants us to succeed, not fail.  He was with me each step of the way.  As I stepped back and looked at my medals hanging there I was overwhelmed with all I had done last year.  I was overwhelmed because I don't know if I could do it again.  I was overwhelmed with the expectation that I had given myself to do it all again this year, and not really wanting to.  I felt that I had given myself unrealistic expectations wanting to repeat those goals for this year.  I started to cry looking at those medals and realizing that it was a miracle that I had accomplished all that I had.  I do want to run this year, but I'm not sure how much.  My classes are already more time consuming than last year.  I would like to spend more time on my quilting, which has really taken the back burner for the past three years since Burke was born.  This year I have less lofty, and fairly realistic goals.  I will work hard in school.  My goal again is to make straight A's.  It will be hard considering I will be taking two, maybe three math classes this year. Aside from my family, school is my priority until I graduate.  I would like to make/ finish six quilts this year.  I was going to try to make one a month, but that is unrealistic right now.  One quilt every two months is doable.  I will enter a quilt in the AZ state fair again.  The last time I entered was about two years ago.  I want to do it again.  I'm not sure right now if I will be able to train for the St George Marathon again.  I'd really like to beat my time, but I'll think about it for a few more months.  I am going to run the Whiskey Row Half with Steve this year.  No Ragnar.

So that's it for me.  Steve and I have some combined goals we'd like to accomplish, but they don't need to be listed here.

Happy 2014!




No comments: