Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day and Other News

Today is Mother's Day.  We had a great day at church and home.  Steve bought me a new stainless steel skillet that I've wanted for a while.  I love it.  The kids made me some cards that were really cute.  I am grateful for the calling of motherhood.  It is the best job I could ask for.

Yesterday Steve and I took Tommy and Alexis to the temple and performed baptisms.  It was so great to go to the temple with them.  Tommy was baptized for Grandpa Rasmussen.  It was very special.

On Friday my mom was in a terrible car accident.  She was driving home from Dothan after picking up some groceries and plants for her garden.  A man on a motorcycle was racing his friend and was taking a curve, but it was too sharp for him so he had to go wide, but hit my mom head on.  He was going 100 miles an hour and she was going 45.  He died, and she had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance.  She is sad that he died, and his mother would not have him for Mother's Day.  My mom's car was totaled.  All of the airbags deployed and she had to be extricated from her car.  She is surprisingly ok.  No internal bleeding, and no broken bones.  She has bad bruises and is pretty sore.  It's a miracle that she's not hurt worse.  She has a great ward that has been helping her out.  I'm grateful she has them, since none of her children can be there.

Tommy turned 12 on April 2.  He had the day off of school and hung out with his friend Jason Canales all day. I  took them to lunch at Red Robin and then to a movie.  That Friday we had a small birthday party with his friends.  We had an ice cream bar.  They played the Wii.  It was a fun night. That Sunday, Tommy was ordained to the Aaronic preisthood.  I am a proud mom.  He has been passing the sacrament each Sunday.  I love that kid.  He is really awesome.  In March, he stared in the school play as Horton from Horton Hears a Who in the play Seussical Jr.  It was really cute.  He did a great job.  Pictures will be on here in the future.  I am really proud of Tommy.

Michael turned 9 on April 15.  He also was able to stay home from school.  For his birthday lunch he wanted to have hot dogs and chips.  We had them with grandma, grandpa and great grandma.  I needed to go buy GF buns, so I left Michael home and let him play video games for two hours while I went to Sprouts to buy the buns.  We had the traditional strawberry shortcake for his birthday dessert.  That is the 9th birthday in a row.  I love it.  Michael is a great boy. He has earned four character awards this school year from four different teachers.  We have him on a new asthma regime and he is doing well with it.  he has started the harry Potter series and is on the fourth book.  He is a thoughtful and creative soul.  I love him.  He is my sweetheart.

Amelia turned two on April 22.  I am so happy to be her mom.  We took the family to the drive in movie for her party.  It was so fun.  I bought her a baby doll, and doll playpen for her gift.  Sh loves them.  She is a good little mommy to her baby. She is still working on potty training, and doing pretty well.

On May 1 &2, I was given the opportunity by Steve to go to the BYU Women's Conference.  I made plans with Diana Baker to meet up there and go to conference together.  It was such an uplifting two days.  The main theme was grace.  I learned so much about grace and how I can apply it in my life.  While I was there I had the privilege to meet Stephanie Nielson.  I had her sign a book for Alexis, and Alexis loved it.

Burke and Amelia are in swim lessons with Jackie Lee.  They hate it.  It's good for them.

This is the last week of school.  I can't wait for school to be out.  I know the kids are ready to be done.

No comments: