Wednesday, March 7, 2012

54 Days Until Summer Vacation

Our school district has a different way of doing things sometimes.  What happened yesterday is one of the reasons I'm still considering home schooling our kids.

I dropped that kids off at school and headed home.  As soon as I walked in the door the phone started ringing.  I immediately think that one of the kids was hurt on the playground, which isn't unusual for our kids.  The voice on the other end says " Mom, they're splitting us up."  I put Burke back in the car and we drove back to the school and picked up Alexis for the day.  When I went to the office to pick her up the front lady had to call three classrooms because she didn't know where Alexis was.  Alexis told me that the class she was assigned to didn't have any extra chairs or desks so they had to sit on the floor in the back of the room.

The practice of dividing the class up when a teacher is absent is in my opinion ridiculous.  I understand that maybe it was really short notice and it was too late to find a sub, but I think it is a waste of the kid's time. It also is an inconvenience to the other teachers who are taking on the extra kids. I also think that they should inform the parents on days when this happens.  When I first heard about this I told the kids to call me if it happened to their class.  Did Alexis come home and play all day?  Nope.  She sat at the kitchen table and the computer doing school work.  She did worksheets that she had from school, and I had her sit at the computer and do Khan math.  she also studied for a test on the American Revolution.  After about 4 hours we took school to the kitchen and made bread and cupcakes for Tommy.  After lunch we put Burke down for a nap and went to the sewing room for some life lessons in sewing.  She worked on making pants for her AG doll and I cut out the quilt top for our soon to arrive niece's quilt.  I think we had a great day.

Michael earned an A on his timed math test.  He has been struggling with the timed tests and we have been helping him practice.  I am so happy he was able to do so well this time.

Amy earned a treat from the Desk Fairy for having a clean desk.

Tommy brought home pipe cleaners to make Harry Houdini for part of his book report.

We had the Blue and Gold banquet for scouts last night.  It was a carnival themed activity.  It was really fun.

No comments: