Tuesday, May 29, 2012

4th Day of Summer Vacation

Kindles and I-Pods and dolls oh my!

Alexis, Tommy, Michael and Amy have been working hard to save money to buy some things that they've been wanting for a long time.  On Saturday Alexis and Tommy finally had enough money to buy what they've been saving for.  Alexis ordered her Kindle Fire and Tommy found a good deal on a used I-Pod Touch on ebay.  Both of these items arrived today.  Needless to say our house has had a lot of excitement.  Amy has been saving for an American Girl Bitty Baby.  Steve and I bought an AG Felicity doll on ebay for her about two years ago and it has been waiting at the top of our closet until she was old enough to take care of it.  We asked her if she would rather buy a Bitty Baby or a full size AG doll.  She chose the doll, and we gave her some jobs to earn money for it.  She was able to have the doll today and she was so surprised.  She thought she was going to have to wait another week for it to come in the mail.  Michael is a little discouraged because he is saving for a Kindle too, but is far from affording it.  I am giving him so many jobs around here to help him.

Have I mentioned how badly I want to home school?  The desire grows stronger everyday.

Tommy and I were able to spend some time baking together.  We made cookies, rolls and pizza crusts. 

I've been watching the History channels mini series the Hatfields and McCoys.  I really like it.  I wish it didn't have the language or violence, but I really like the story, and I really like movies about that time period.   I am fascinated by the old west and Civil War era.  I'm not sure if it is considered a western movie because it takes place in the east, but I do think it is really well done.  


On a More Personal Note:

I was pondering myself on Sunday as I was getting ready for church.  The house was quiet while the kids were playing in the front room, and Amelia and Burke were asleep.  I was thinking about courageous women that I have come across in the past few years.  These women are so amazing.  One, of course, is Stephanie Nielson.  After reading her book I am in awe of her faith, courage and honesty.  I felt like we could have been best friends.  I admit that I've been checking her blog almost everyday now.  I cried at her Mother's Day lullaby video.  She is such a good example and role model.  If my girls don't look up to me as a good example of who to strive to be like, I hope they can look to her.  Another woman that I admire is one of Steve's old room mates wives.  I found her blog a few years ago and I am in awe of her faith and love also.  What I love about these women is that they have every reason to mope and complain.  To be unhappy and beg for pity.  They could pull the "poor me" card over and over.  I know they struggle and I know they are overwhelmed and they must be exhausted.  They don't complain.  They don't whine.  They don't ask for pity.  I have come to the realization that not complaining is one of the keys to happiness.  Thinking of these women on Sunday morning brought me to an understanding for myself.  I have decided to look at myself, and to be more grateful to the blessings I have.  There is no good reason to complain.  There are two types of situations.  Those I can control, and those I can not.  If I don't like something in my control, don't complain, just fix it.  If the problem is something out of my control, then it's not worth complaining about because I can't do anything about it.  I decided that gratitude is going to replace the area of my mind that is taken up by any thoughts of whining.  I am making an effort not to complain.  I can't only do so much.  I can not control those around me and I can't let anyone's behavior change my attitude.  There must be some good in every situation.  I have to look for it and be grateful for what I have.  I can only control myself.  I don't need to bring negative energy to myself, or my home.  The kids can pick up on it and it sets a bad tone in the house.  Everyday I try to be a mother who deserves these kids and a wife who deserves her husband.  I am living my life for them and want to be better for them.  I hope that my children recognize my love for them, and I pray that I am a good enough teacher to guide them through this life.

1 comment:

Lani said...

I have no doubt your children will look up to you. I know I do.